Monday, January 28, 2008

The First Family

The first family I photographed surprised me. We met at Opportunities Cafe and took pictures till they closed. I expected their words to be ordinary like Male, Female, girl, and the like.

Silenced, Suppressed - December 2008 - Phoenix, AZ

There were anything but simple words chosen. This is one thing I adore about this project so far, the way people are so truly diverse, even to the point of surprising me. The person I expected to write something unusual wrote "Male" and I now realize, I still need to let go of some of my expectations.


A Mother, Father, and two daughters. The older daughter's boyfriend also was there, but he didn't feel like having his picture taken.It sounds like a good ol' all American family right? They are.



All present to the world as the male or female person they were identified as at birth, yet that is not what they wrote down. As you can see, they each had very interesting things to say. Click on their pictures to see a larger view of the photo.

I look forward to photographing more families.

Remember, Gender DiverCity is a place open to any and all types of people. If you are human, I want to photograph you and your words about gender, whatever they are. To learn more about how to participate in making this project more diverse, read the FAQ post found in the links on the right of the Gender DiverCity blog or send me an email at smbryceart@yahoo.com

No comments: